What is LASIK treatment?
The curvature of the cornea is modified by using our Zeiss MEL 80™ Excimer Laser. In order to correct the patient’s defect, the technique is similar to polishing glass. This change in curvature is performed within the corneal tissue so that the recovery is faster than with other techniques.
Will I feel pain during or after the operation?
LASIK treatment is not painful. Anesthesia drops are sufficient enough to perform the procedure in every patient. During surgery, there is a feeling of pressure on the eye, but never any pain. In the first 2-4 hours post-surgery, there may be a slight burning and feeling of a “debris” type sensation in the eye. We suggest the patients to lie down at home after surgery and rest with their eyes closed for a couple of hours.
What may happen if I blink or move the eye during the procedure?
It is very important to be calm and to follow the doctor’s instructions. We have a state-of-the-art tracking system in our facility, so we are capable of tracking the eye while the laser is being applied.
What kind of precautions should I take after surgery?
We recommend using sunglasses after the procedure for two reasons: 1) to protect from any wind or contact from environment particles and 2) to protect the eye from the sunlight. It is highly important to apply the medicated eye drops after surgery. You can continue your exercise regimen one day following the operation, although, no contact sports or swimming until the doctor tells you otherwise .
Can I have both eyes operated at the same time?
If both eyes are visually impaired, then both may be operated on the same session as long as there are no medical reasons for not doing so.
When may I continue my regular lifestyle after surgery?
We recommend at-home rest the first 48 hours following the surgery. Most patients may recover more than 90% vision, which allows the patient to fully reincorporate into his/her normal activities. The remaining 10% returns during the following days after surgery.